Panna Cotta with Caramel Coconut Crisps
Apologies for neglecting this space for a while, it hasn’t been on purpose! I had to go through some health issues and had to stay away from everything I love – my kitchen, cooking, teaching, photography and so on. It was hard but on the other hand it made me realise how fortunate I am to have a lovely family and adorable friends who supported me and did everything possible for me over the past few months. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.
The great news is that everything is slowly settling to its place now and its holiday season – happy times! There is only a bare minimum amount of activity happening in my kitchen at the moment, but I made this simple dessert the other day and I wanted to share it with you all.
Panna Cotta, ‘cooked cream’ in Italian, is a dessert which makes everyone happy in my family – it takes hardly anytime to make, nor do you need any fancy ingredients. And to be honest, who doesn’t love cream! To make it you only really need cream, milk, sugar and gelatine. The beauty of it is that you can make it taste different every time without much effort, simply by adding different toppings. I tend to use whatever I have in hand. My favourites are fresh fruits cut into small pieces, mixed berry jams or any kind of jelly. The other day I made some caramel coconut crisps and tried it as a topping. It’s my favourite at the moment, enjoy!
Wishing all of you great holidays, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Caramel coconut crisps
- Granulated sugar – ¼ cup
- Desiccated coconut – ¼ cup
- Butter – ½ teaspoon
- Heat granulated sugar with a tablespoon of water in a clean saucepan (medium heat) until you get a pale golden caramel.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and immediately add desiccated coconut, mix well with a wooden spoon. Add butter and mix again.
- Spread this hot mixture to a greased tray or silicone mat. Leave it aside until cold and break into small pieces.
- Fresh cream – 450 ml
- Milk – 300 ml
- Sugar – 125 g
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Gelatine – 12 g
- Soak gelatine in cold water
- Heat cream and milk in a sauce pan with sugar until it starts to boil.
- Remove from heat, add soaked gelatine and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Pour into serving moulds and chill until Panna Cotta is set.
- Serve with crushed Caramel Coconut Crisps.