Sweet Potato Soup With Coconut milk and Spices
The weather was extremely mild and warm until the end of 2015, but winter has finally arrived! I am not complaining, I like it when there is frost and snow. It is beautiful!
My soup pot is simmering gently on my stove again, this time with a sweet potato soup with coconut milk, chilli and a dash of fragrant spices.
Sweet potato soup with coconut milk and spices
- Sweet potato (medium) – 2-3 (500 g)
- White onion – 1
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Celery – ½ stick
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh red chilli – 1
- Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
- Chicken or vegetable stock – 1 litre
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Peel sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and carrot.
- Cut all the vegetables and red chilli into medium sized chunks.
- Sauté the vegetables in a soup pot or in a large saucepan with olive oil for 5 – 6 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add garam masala and a litre of chicken or vegetable stock, simmer gently for 20 -30 minutes until the sweet potatoes start to break down.
- Remove the soup from the fire and cool it down.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Transfer the puréed soup back to the pot and heat gently to simmer.
- Add water or coconut milk to adjust the consistency of the soup according to your liking.
- Serve it hot with a dash of coconut milk and some crisp bread thins if you have it.