Baked Meringues with Summer Berries
This is one of my favourite desserts to make when fruit stalls and farmers markets are bursting with summer berries during this time of the year.
A simple feathery meringue nest filled with vanilla scented cream and topped with a mixture of berries.
They are the perfect desserts for a hot summery day, sweet and light but decadent!
Meringues are very simple to make and all you need are egg whites, sugar and a good whisk.
- Egg whites – 3
- Sugar – 150 g
- Salt – one pinch
- Double cream – 150 ml
- Powdered sugar – 40 g
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
Fresh berries – a mixture of Raspberries, blue berries and strawberries
- To make the meringues place the egg whites in a clean metal bowl with a pinch of salt and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Add one tablespoon of sugar each to the egg whites and continue whisking until all the sugar is incorporated and the meringue is shiny.
- Spoon it into a piping bag and pipe the meringue into tray lined with baking paper into a circle shape. Pipe around the edge to make a rim.
- Bake in a pre heated low oven 120°C for about 1- 1 ½ hours, or until the meringue can be easily lifted without sticking to the baking paper.
- For the filling- Whisk the cream with a the powdered sugar in a bowl until it just starts to thicken, then fold in the vanilla extract until you get a uniform mixture.
- Spoon the cream into meringue nests and top with berries.