You can make bread pudding in many different ways using white bread, brown bread and by adding dry fruits and nuts. This is a simple one using plain croissant as the main ingredient. You are welcome to add your own flavourings and touch to it, but mine is a simple one with vanilla flavoured custard.
The cooking process is very simple and straight forward – just slice fresh croissants into 2 cm thick slices before layering a baking dish or flan dish with them, and then pour the uncooked custard over the top before baking it in the oven. When it is done, sprinkle a little bit of granulated sugar on top of the pudding and caramelise it in the oven or under a hot grill for a few minutes to add some crispiness and colour to the edges of croissant slices. It is a simple yet decadent dish for sure!
- Croissant – 2
- Egg – 3
- Milk – 250 ml
- Cream – 100 ml
- Sugar – 100g
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Slice croissants into 2 cm thick slices and layer it on a baking dish or 18 cm flan dish.
- Whisk together the egg and sugar until pale and creamy, add milk, cream and vanilla extract and mix them all together.
- Pour the above mixture over the croissant slices and bake in a pre heated oven (180 degree celsius)
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the pudding is cooked through.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of granulated sugar on top and bake again for a few minutes under a hot grill or oven until the top is slightly golden in colour.