This is a dessert which I grew up with. My mom made it very often, almost every week and I remember I wasn’t too keen on it for a while. But these days it has found its way back into my menu again. And I realised why I couldn’t enjoy it before – it was too sweet! Sorry mom!
The main attraction for this dessert is that the main ingredients are staples from most kitchens – milk, egg and sugar. I like to use vanilla beans for extra flavour but if you don’t have it use one teaspoon of vanilla extract instead. Please adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste, because this certain recipe is not very sweet at all. I like to bake it in an oven but I remember my mom used to steam it in a steamer all the time . Steaming works well too but you have to be very careful not to overcook it.
- Heat 2 table spoon of sugar in a dry sauce pan until you get a dark golden caramel. Pour it into the bottom of a round baking dish,spread around the bottom and leave to cool
- Heat milk and vanilla bean in a sauce pan until it starts to boil and leave to infuse the vanilla for five some time.
- Whisk egg and 2 table spoon sugar, add hot milk mixture and whisk together. Remove the skin of vanilla bean.
- Pour the above mixture over the cooled caramel and bake in a pre heated oven(160 degree centigrade) over hot water for 35-45 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Cool it in the fridge for a few hours and tip it upside down on to a plate before serving..