Stuffed courgette with spiced minced lamb
I am really glad that summer is still in the air here in London, and summer berries and vegetables are still in season. It is my favourite time of the year here when it comes to cooking.
It is this time of the year that my family and I always look forward to go to pick-your-own farms, where vegetables and fruits are grown in fields and rows to be picked and then bought by visitors. It is a much better version of a supermarket, where you can pick vegetables straight from the plant, pull onions out of the ground and find all kinds of berries growing in neatly arranged rows.
It was when I was at one of these farms last weekend that I found these beautiful round courgettes. I couldn’t resist the idea of stuffing them with some minced meat and baking them in the oven. I made sure I picked enough to feed my family of five before I left the place.
Courgettes (known as zucchinis in America) are very versatile, and I use them in every possible form; stir-fried, baked, in salads, soups and even in curries. They are available all year round in shops, but I think this is the season in England where its flavour is at its prime.
Cut the top part of courgette and scoop out the flesh from the inside until you get a neat hole. I used these round courgettes as they looked great stuffed, but you could use the more common long courgettes instead – cut it lengthwise and scoop out the centre just before stuffing them with the sautéed meat mixture and then simply baking it. Serve it as a starter with a drizzle of pesto sauce or chilli oil.
Stuffed Courgette with Minced Lamb
Oil -1 tablespoon
Garlic (chopped)-1 clove
Chilli powder -1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder-1/4 teaspoon
Grated cheese-2 tablespoon
- Cut the top part of the courgette and scoop out the flesh until you get a neat hole.
- Chop the scooped out flesh and keep aside to use for the stuffing.
- Heat the olive oil oil and saute onion, garlic and chilli flakes.
- Add the minced meat and saute until the meat is brown.
- Add cinnamon powder, salt, chopped tomato and chopped flesh of the courgette.
- Cook covered for 10-15 minutes until the stuffing is cooked and dry.
- Add grated cheese and mix well. Stuff the mixture inside the courgette.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree centigrade for 20-25 minutes or until the courgette is cooked through.
Serve it as a side dish or a starter with a drizzle of basil pesto and chilli oil.