KERALAN SHRIMP AND GREEN MANGO CURRY (Chemmeen Manga Charu)
Hot and humid summer months are mango season in Kerala and mangoes invariably appear in every meal of the day, in various forms. It takes the role of sour tamarind in the curries of Kerala until the monsoon hits the dry land with all its might!
When mangoes are small and young they are made into pickles and chutneys, and as they slowly mature they are added to curry sauces as a souring agent.
Green mangoes have quite an opposite personality from their fragrant, ripe and sweet yellow counterparts. They are pleasantly crisp with a pale jade hue and strong sharp flavours, like the cooking apples of the Western world.
That sharpness is the essence of most curry sauces during this season. It is paired with vegetables, fish and shrimp in many cases. When cooked, the green mangoes turn into soft melting morsels. Serve it with plain steamed rice and Keralan papadums. It’s my favourite treat!
KERALAN SHRIMP AND GREEN MANGO CURRY (Chemmeen manga charu)
- Green mango – 1 (200g)
- Shrimp – 250 g
- Grated coconut – 200 g (2 cups)
- Shallots – 4
- Chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a few
- Dry chili – 1
- Peel and clean the shrimp. Then peel the mango and remove flesh from the seeds. Cut the flesh into pieces.
- In a clay pot or in a saucepan, cook together peeled shrimp and green mango slices along with half a cup of water for ten minutes or until the mangoes are soft.
- Meanwhile in a blender, grind together grated coconut with peeled shallots, chilli powder, turmeric powder and half a cup of water until you get a fine paste.
- Add the ground coconut paste and salt to the pan of cooked shrimp and mango and heat until the mixture just starts to simmer. Remove from fire and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan, add mustard seeds and dry chilli, fry on a low flame for a few minutes until the mustard seeds pop and dry chilli turns deep brown in colour. Add curry leaves and pour over the curry.
- Serve with rice.