Simply Irresistible Lemon and Passion Fruit Bars
There are certain pastries which simply vanish in my household once they are made, and this is certainly one of them!
The ingredients are simple and modest; some plain flour, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon and a couple of passion fruits if you have them. What makes them irresistible is the combination of contrasting flavours and textures of the sweet buttery short bread base and the soft and tangy lemon topping.
Lemon and Passion Fruit Bars
Short bread Base
- Plain flour – 150 g
- Rice flour – 50 g
- Castor sugar – 75 g
- Grated lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 130 g
- Milk – 2 tablespoons
- Sift together plain flour and rice flour to a large bowl, then add castor sugar, lemon zest and a pinch of salt and mix it until everything is combined.
- Add cold butter, cut into small cubes to the above flour and sugar mixture and rub the butter pieces into the flour with your finger tips until the mixture becomes sandy texture.
- Add milk little by little and mix until the dough starts to bind together (add more milk if necessary).
- Tip the mixture to a 20cm x 20 cm lined square cake tin, spread it around and press it to the base with your hand or using back of a spoon.
- Bake it in a (180°C) pre heated oven for 20 -25 minutes until the short bread starts to colour golden brown around the edges.
- Remove it from the oven and carefully pour the lemon and passion fruit topping mixture on top of the baked short bread base.
- Return the cake tin back to the oven and bake it in a 160°C oven until the topping is just set (20 -25 min).
- Remove it from the oven and cool it completely before you cut it.
Lemon and Passion fruit topping
- Passion fruit – 2
- Lemon juice – 200 ml
- Egg – 3
- Sugar – 200g
- Plain flour – 25g
- Grated lemon zest – 2 teaspoons
- Cut passion fruits into half and scoop out the inside, mix it with lemon juice, egg, sugar and plain flour in a bowl.
- Mix it until all the sugar is dissolved and then add grated lemon zest.