Aubergine and Tomato Bake with Spiced Minced Meat
This is a summer dish to make when red ripe tomatoes and purple aubergines are in season… Minced meat is cooked ahead with spices and aubergine slices are brushed with oil and then cooked on a griddle pan or on a non-stick frying pan before assembling. You could make the dish in advance and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it and it goes well with plain steamed rice or with a crusty bread!Just make sure you serve it hot straight from the oven…
Aubergine and Tomato Bake with Spiced Minced Meat.
- Aubergine (medium) – 2
- Tomatoes – 4
- Olive oil – 3 table spoon
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Garlic (chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Minced meat – 200g
- Pepper powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Chili flakes – ¼ teaspoon
- Grated nutmeg – one pinch
- Cinnnamon powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Grated cheese – ¼ cup
- Chopped parsley
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and tender, add minced meat and sauté until the meat is browned all around. Season with salt, pepper, chili flakes, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Slice tomatoes into slices and keep aside.
- Slice the aubergine into thick slices, sprinkle salt on top and brush with olive oil. Grill until both sides are lightly browned.
- Layer a baking dish with tomatoes, aubergines and cooked minced meat.
- Sprinkle cheese and chopped parsley on top, bake in a pre heated oven 200°C for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese has melted and the aubergines and tomatoes are just tender.