Kerala Prawn Curry with Jackfruit seeds (Chemmeenum chakka kkuru curry).
Jackfruits are grown all around South East Asia and South Asia. Most of the people around the world know jackfruit as a delicious fruit, but traditionally it is used as a vegetable when green and unripe. Unusually, the seeds are lovely too, being very nutty and nutritious.
I heard from my grandmother that traditionally they were roasted and eaten as a snack and cooked in many ways in Kerala. But it is so unfortunate that it is so underused these days. It is not fashionable any more!
This recipe is my mom’s specialty; a prawn curry using roasted coconut and plenty of jackfruit seeds, which I promised to post some time ago…https://manjuskitchen.co.uk/2011/08/16/chakka-jackfruit-jam/
To clean the jackfruit seeds, peel the outer white layer, soak them in warm water for ten minutes and then scrape off the thin brown skin using a small knife until you get a clean, white jackfruit seed.
I brought back some jackfruit seeds from Kerala on my last visit and this was the first time I cleaned it myself! It is a fiddly job, so make sure you put on some nice music for your entertainment if you are alone…but believe me it is worth every effort in the end!
- Prawns- 500g
- Jack fruit seeds- 300 g
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Chili powder- 2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ teaspoon
- Oil- 1 table spoon
- Shallots (sliced)- 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves- a few
- Malabar tamarind( kudampuli)-3-4 pieces
- Peel and clean the prawns and jack fruit seeds, keep aside separately.
- Dry roast the coconut until golden brown add the spice powders and roast it in a low flame for a few minutes (until fragrant).
- Grind the roasted coconut and spice mixture to a fine paste using little water in a spice blender.
- Heat oil and sauté the sliced shallots until golden brown, then add the curry leaf, ground coconut paste, malabar tamarind, cleaned jackfruit seeds, salt and I cup of water.
- Simmer gently until the seeds soften, then add the prawn and cook for five minutes.
- Check the seasoning and serve with rice.