Vazhana ada- Kerala rice bread with jackfruit preserve
There was a family emergency and again I am back to Kerala.
Here is another Kerala style rice bread recipe, steamed in an aromatic leaf called Vazhana (Edana) with Jackfruit preserve filling.
Vazhana leaf is mostly coupled with sweet Jackfruit dishes in Kerala .
The plant is from the cinnamon family and the leaves look identical to cinnamon leaves. When steamed the leaves releases a very unique sweet aroma and flavour, this in turn perfumes and flavour the dishes.
There are various methods and styles to make sweet jackfruit breads and most of them are made with vazhana leaves because the sweet aroma compliments well with the fruity jackfruit flavour . This is a simple and quick recipe using jackfruit Jam (chakka varattiyathu) mixed with fresh grated coconut.
- Vazhana leaves-20
- Rice flour- 2 cup
- Salt- ½ teaspoon
- Water- 3 cups
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Jackfruit preserve-1/2 cup
- Mix fresh Grated coconut with jackfruit preserve and keep aside for filling.
- Boil water with salt and mix with rice flour, leave to cool and knead until smooth.
- Make lime size balls and spread all over vazahana leaves using fingertips.
- Keep one teaspoon full of the Jackfruit filling in the middle and fold over the leaf into half and press around the sides to seal the edges.
- Steam cook the filled bread in a steamer for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked.
Jack fruit preserve (Jam)
- Jackfruit pieces-500 g
- Brown sugar (jaggery) -250 g
- Boil brown sugar( jaggery) with one cup of water until all the sugar is melted.
- Cook together Jackfruit pieces and brown sugar syrup until all the water is evaporated and thick.