Banana and walnut cake
After a very promising start, our summer has become a rather familiar story – rainy, wet and cold. But I can definitely feel summer in the air when the bananas get ripe in the fruit basket after just two days. There are a few things I usually do with them – freeze them, disguise them as a banana milk shake or as ice cream. I promise to post that recipe soon…… since there was no cake at home I decided my other option, banana cake. It is the kind of cake you can eat for snack or as a breakfast…very simple and wholesome.
I have added walnuts for some texture but whichever nut you have in stock will do – pecans or even peanuts will go very well with bananas. Remember to keep the butter and eggs at room teperature for a while before you start to make the cake.
BANANA AND WALNUT CAKE
Lemon juice -1 table spoon
Plain flour-200 g
Baking powder-1 teaspoon
Vanilla extract or vanilla bean
Walnuts -100 g
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork, mix with lemon juice and keep aside.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and keep aside.
- Chop the walnuts leaving a few to decorate on top.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper all around.
- Whisk the soft butter with sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs one by one and whisk in and then add the sifted flour and mashed bananas, vanilla and chopped walnuts and fold in until well mixed.
- Spread into the prepared cake tin and decorate the top with walnut pieces.
- Bake in a pre heated oven 180 degree centigrade for 30- 40 minutes or until it is cooked