Cream bread (Cremu pan)
This is another bread recipe which I picked up while I was living in Japan.
Delicate and silky rich bread dough is combined with vanilla custard (pastry) cream in this recipe. The sweet bread dough is made into small balls, rolled into an oval shape and then filled with cooled custard cream before baking it to a golden colour. Even though it is considered a snack-bread, it is definitely worth serving for breakfast.
Custard cream (pastry cream)
- Heat milk with half the sugar and vanilla bean until it starts to boil.
- Whisk egg yolk with the rest of the sugar until it is creamy, add flour and mix well.
- Add the hot milk and whisk in, cook till the custard thickens.
- Remove the vanilla bean and cool on a tray covered with cling film.
Salt-1/2 teaspoon (3g)
Dry yeast-4 g
- Mix the yeast and warm milk together and keep aside for ten minutes.
- Mix the bread flour with salt, sugar, egg, soft butter and the milk and yeast mixture until the dough becomes elastic. (10-15 minutes)
- Cover the dough with damp cloth and keep in warm place until it doubles in volume.
- Punch down to remove air bubbles and divide into 50g balls.
- Roll into oval shapes and fill one half with custard cream.
- Fold over the other side and press to seal the edges.
- Cover with wet cloth and leave until it doubles in volume.
- Brush the top with whisked egg and sprinle white poppy seeds.
- Bake in a pre heated oven(200 degree centigrade) for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.